If you’re thinking of getting a new smartphone, you are most likely going to decide whether to choose Google’s Android or Apple’s iOS operating system. In the last few years, these were the two biggest players in the market. It reached a point where the “other” operating systems only have less than 0.1% of sales.
The good news: both are great operating systems. For starters, you can browse the internet, receive calls, and send messages with both operating systems.
However, if you’re going to buy a new mobile device, it’s always a good idea to know more about their differences. But keep in mind that at the end of the day, you are the one who will choose which operating system you prefer to use.
Open vs. Closed Operating System
One of the main differences between iOS and Android phones is the fact that the former is a “closed” operating system while the latter is an “open” operating system. An open OS only means that its code is available for anyone to use. On the other hand, Apple has a closed system which means that the code isn’t public.
Why is this important? If you’re someone who wants to do a bit of techy stuff and change your phone’s software, then Android is the best choice for you.
Another important consideration is security. While both provide security updates, Android and iOS have different approaches.
Android typically has monthly security updates. Unfortunately, a lot of users lag when it comes to using the updated Android OS. Most are running an outdated system on their phones. On the other hand, Apple’s iOS provides fewer security updates since it’s a closed system and security threats are also rare.
When it comes to mobile web traffic, Android is king. In both North America and Europe during Q2 of 2021, 60% of mobile web traffic came from Android devices while the remaining 40% came from iPhones. In South America and Africa, the disparity is greater with Android holding 80% of the mobile web traffic share and iOS with just 20% during that same time in 2021.
According to Ookla, Android loads websites faster in more countries than iOS. Android has faster download speeds in areas such as South Africa, Iraq, and Hong Kong to name a few. However, iOS is also faster in some countries such as Nigeria, Japan, and Bangladesh.
What makes it important? This information can come in handy for those who are designing their website. If you’re planning to have a website, this gives you an idea of which device you should focus on when testing your website’s mobile interface. If you don’t want to deal with bugs and you want something that works on both, you might want to check the Wix price list for 2023 and see which website fits your needs. Also, this means you should consider your location if you’re buying a new phone.
Are you the type who wants to customize your phone’s interface? Between Apple and Android, the latter wins this category. Android makes it easy for users to organize the apps and widgets. But with iOS 14, Apple is doing its best to provide better customization for users.
Reputable apps are present in both iOS and Android. However, since iOS is a closed-source system that comes with a stringent protocol when submitting apps, Android gets to have wider options for its users. This includes those that are found in the Google Play Store.
Next, there is such a thing as APK. APK stands for Android Package Kit. It contains everything you need to install an app on your phone. APKs can be used to install apps that are not part of the Google Play Store. Unfortunately, this isn’t possible with Apple iOS.
Photo Quality and Storage
Nowadays, your phone isn’t just for calling or texting. It is also used for sending emails and taking photos and videos. Now, which one offers a better camera resolution? Looking at the latest Android and iPhone devices, Android phones can be a hit or miss. Some Android devices don’t have good cameras while Apple consistently included great cameras on iPhone units.
However, storing photos is a different story. Android devices can store their photos on Google Photos. And for a time, it was unlimited for free. These days, 100GB of storage costs around $2 per month.
Whether or not you’re going to buy an Android or an Apple product will depend on your needs, budget, and your overall preference. If you’re the type who doesn’t want to be loyal to one brand, then you should stick with Android. On the other hand, if you prioritize security and high-quality apps, then an Apple product is for you.