Motion formats such as video are the ones that get the most attention on social media. Therefore, more and more platforms, social media, and web resources are making as much effort as possible to focus on video format. A good example would be Instagram, which focuses more on video. If we talk about businesses and enterprises, then they also actively use animation to promote and present their company. We are talking about 2D and 3D videos.
In this article, we will compare two main animations – 2d vs. 3d. If you want to improve your presence on social platforms, then you need to know more about what 3D and 2D animation are, their differences, the benefits of including them on your networks, and the apps you can use to create them.
What is 2d animation?
2D animation is a technique used to create moving images from a sequence of still images, which can be drawings or photographs, among other things. Creating a 2D animation is about placing objects in two dimensions (length, and height) on a flat surface, but they have no volume because they lack depth. 2d animation service will help you to create such videos.
2D animation involves giving movement to any image if it is in two-dimensional space. In this type of animation, drawings, and images are combined into a single sequence. Thus, they create a sense of movement.
What is 3d animation?
If we assume that 2d animation consists in creating movement from images that lack depth, then we can assume that 3d animation consists in creating moving images by giving them volume, and therefore endowing them with length, height, and depth. In addition, 3D animation uses software or digital applications to add depth and rendering to objects to further enhance the quality of motion in 3D space.
- The most notable difference between 2D and 3D animation is that 2D animation moves an image in a (2D) plane, while 3D animation does it in 3D space, but it doesn’t stop there;
- In traditional 2D animation, images or drawings can be done by hand and do not require a rendering process, while 3D animation requires rendering;
- You can create 2D animations from both physical and digital images using programs such as Photoshop. 3D animation requires the use of specialized software to create it;
- 2D animation is usually better perceived by the audience when it comes to explanatory videos, tutorial videos, etc.;
- In 2D animation, objects can be moved horizontally and vertically, but in 3D animation, they can be viewed from different angles and even rotated;
- 2D animation is commonly used by brands to create social media ads, among other things, while 3D animation, although used on social media, is less common;
- 2D animation is cheaper than 3D animation;
- 3D animation takes more time than 2D animation;
- The demands of creating 3d animation make the final work heavier and require a high download speed to play it, while 2d animation is easier to create.
What to choose?
You need to analyze the features of your project and what you want to get in the end. The choice between 2D and 3D animation depends on many factors, especially your goals. If you choose 3d, then you will need help from a 3d animation company, if 2d, then you will need specialists who are well-versed in two-dimensional videos.
Determine your goals, budget, timing, and preferences, and only then decide on the type of video you want to be created for you. That 2d, that 3d has their advantages and disadvantages, so it’s hard to say which one is better.